Friday, October 8, 2010

"Fiesta and Familia", Family Traditions.

The living area in my grandparents' place.

Every second sunday of September in Danao City, Cebu celebrates its fiesta. The whole family gathers in my grandparents' estate, and what usually happens is that the cousins gather up in the living area, and we usually talk about any topic that we can think of, we laugh, we enjoy, and we value the chance of being reunited since it only happens sometimes. My grandparents' always prepare food for us, and for the guests that they usually invite. The dish that I always remember is the "lechon". I always remember this because when I was a kid, I slept in my grandparents' place and I suddenly woke up because of a pig's screech, it was being slaughtered; the next day, I was so curios so I decided to go outside and check on the pig, I saw the whole pig on a bamboo stick, and I knew it was being "lechoned". The family has special home-made spices that are added to the lechon to make it tastier. The celebration usually starts at lunch time and ends past dinner. My grandparents' and their children bond every time they come home. It makes me happy seeing my mom and her siblings bond with their parents because I know that my parents really miss them a lot. I am going home to Cebu next week and I can't wait to experience the yearly fiesta because I miss seeing my relatives, and I miss spending time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment